I’m posting this up here mostly for me, in case I run into this again. Our new Sitecore install was having some serious issues. You could browse the tree and do everything as expected in Content Editor. When you went to save an item, poof. The whole browser froze. You couldn’t click around, and it eventually timed out and was unresponsive until that time. I racked my brain on this and tried a number of different things:
- Rebuilt SQL Indexes on Core/Master.
- Rebuild the Links DB on Core/Master
- Rebuilt the Search index for sitecore_master_index.
I came across this post: https://himadritechblog.wordpress.com/2014/05/25/sitecore-application-hangs-due-to-permission-issue/ and almost instantly dismissed it. This points to an issue with lucene. We’re configured to use Solr. Shouldn’t be a problem.
Oh boy was I wrong. After following the steps to debug a w3wp dump, I sure enough saw the same thing. Lucene index permissions? What? I went to explorer and found this:
Now I’m not sure why the other indexes show a folder-mod date of 7/7, but the data inside is indeed quite old. However, when I go into __system, the data is VERY current. I killed IIS and then granted NETWORK SERVICE full control of that folder. I started things back up and magic was happening. No more hangs/freezes.
I may have cried a little bit more.
Rob, thanks for this post. I had the exact same issue, and was also using Solr. I made sure my permissions were correct on that indexes folder, and it still didn’t help. I ended up deleting everything in that folder and things instantly started working. I cried a bit too!
OMG I love you! I deleted all the indexing folders and now it finally works. This is a part of my life I’m never getting back! 🙁